Perfect Gluten Free Workout Snacks from Nairn’s
You’re probably already familiar with Nairn’s gluten free products. They’re available in all good grocery stores including Waitrose, Sainsbury’s, Tesco and Asda. And what’s more they’re tasty, filling and low in calories too.
If you’re a gym bunny or a runner (like me) they’re the perfect pre and post exercise snack. But until now we’ve always eaten our gluten free oatcakes plain and simple and straight out of the packet.
However, the good people at Nairn’s sent us a box of gluten free oatcakes and biscuits this week, along with a bunch of recipes from their nutritionist, aimed at boosting our energy and replenishing sore muscles. And it’s made us rethink our oatcakes approach!
So before your workout, top your Nairn’s gluten free oatcake with peanut butter and banana. You’ll get slow release energy from the oats, protein from the peanuts and your insulin levels will stay in check with the banana. Or try hummus and cherry tomatoes. (My fave.)
After your workout replenish your muscles with a combination of omega 3 and oatcakes with smoked mackerel and chilli jam.
Nairn’s Gluten Free Oatcakes with Smoked Mackerel and Chilli Jam
- Serves 4 – 6
- Topping for 20 oatcakes
- Dairy free, nut free, seed free, soy free and egg free
- 104 calories per oatcake with topping
- Two smoked mackerel fillets, skinned and broken into pieces
For the chilli jam:
- 200g vine ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 200g vine ripe tomatoes, diced
- 2 red chillies, seeded and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2cm piece of fresh root ginger, grated
- 1tbsp fish sauce
- 200g soft brown sugar
- 60ml balsamic vinegar
- 50g raisins
- Salt and pepper to taste
What to do
- Place the chopped tomatoes, chilli, garlic and ginger and fish sauce in a blender and process to form a puree. Place the puree in a saucepan with the remaining ingredients including the diced tomatoes.
- Bring to the boil then reduce to a gentle simmer and cook until thick, for about 30 minutes. Stir occasionally during cooking. Once thick allow the jam to cool.
- To serve, spoon a little of the jam on top of each oatcake and top with a piece of mackerel.
Check out the Nairn’s website for more toppings ideas and gluten free recipes.