Gluten-Free Bread and Butter Pudding Recipe
As the nights draw in and the weather gets wetter, a warming and hearty pudding is exactly what you need. That can be a challenge on a gluten-free diet, but this easy bread and butter pudding recipe from Newburn Bakehouse is the perfect winter comfort food.
What’s more, it’s great for using up the end of a loaf, and it’s so tasty and gooey the whole family will love it.
What you’ll need:
- 8 slices of gluten-free bread
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbs caster sugar
- 2 tbs sultanas
- 1 tbs Demerara sugar
- 250ml milk
- 100ml double cream
- For flavour: vanilla extract, lemon or orange zest, and a pinch of nutmeg
How to make gluten free bread and butter pudding:
- Gently heat the milk, cream, and vanilla extract in a saucepan over a medium low heat – bring to a simmer then turn off the heat, add the zest and allow to cool. Beat the eggs and caster sugar together in a separate pan, then slowly mix in the cool milk mixture to create a thin custard.
- Butter the bread, and layer half the slices (diagonal shape) in a greased ovenproof baking dish. Sprinkle over half the sultanas, and pour over half the custard. Leave it to soak in (about 15 minutes of soaking) before repeating the process with a second layer.
- Dot the pudding with 1 tbsbutter, sprinkle with Demerara sugar and nutmeg, and loosely cover it with foil. Place the baking dish in a bain marie on the middle shelf, and bake for 15 minutes in a pre-heated oven at 180’c/160’c Fan (gas mark 4). Remove the foil and keep baking for 20 to 30 minutes until the custard sets in the middle.
For an added twist…
Bread and butter pudding is a really versatile base for different flavour combinations. Instead of sultanas, why not try dates and dried apricots, banana and walnuts, chocolate chunks and hazelnuts or even candied peel and marmalade?